Please join the grass roots effort to restore the chapel to its former glory. Learn how to make tax deductible donations on our Help Us page. For additional information, call (585) 638-6371, extension 104.
Prominently sited near the main entrance, the non-denominational chapel is the most visible feature of the cemetery. A study in Gothic Revival architecture, the steep roof is cross gabled and clad with slate. The exterior of the building is of locally quarried rough faced Medina sandstone. It is both an architecturally and historically significant building. Windows are set into arched openings and have colored glass and decorative wood panels below the glass. There is even a flying buttress with the date of construction (1894) carved in stone near the base.
The main chapel room is a large, open room with a large window on the northeast side and with three smaller ones on the southeast. The high ceiling is of tongue and groove bead board, as is the wainscoting in the lower part of the plaster walls. The floor is wide tongue and groove wood. On the southwest wall, the shape of the north window is mirrored by a Gothic arch shaped recess in the plaster.
Original to the chapel is a raised platform, a wooden lectern and approximately fifty wooden Windsor chairs, some with remnants of decorative outline painting. A large cast-iron stove, currently removed for restoration, was located toward the southern end of the chapel and is stamped “Flower City Oak 118”.
The chapel is a wonderful space for gatherings. Primary uses might be for concerts, art exhibits, poetry readings, weddings, funerals and memorial services. Today it is in need of restoration and your tax deductible support will be greatly appreciated. Major areas to be addressed are the need for a new slate roof and the restoration of the windows. The total project is expected to cost $225,000 and is being supported by the Town of Clarendon, the Clarendon Historical Society and the Murray-Holley Historical Society.