PO Box 145
CLARENDON, NY 14429
For information regarding a grave site and/or burial, please contact Administrator Melissa Ierlan @ 585-638-6371 ext. 104
Rules & Regulations
Adopted 9/16/2008; Rev 7/20/2010; Rev 8/17/2010; Rev 8/18/2015
1. All lots in Hillside Cemetery are sold in accordance with the provisions of the Laws of the State of New York and shall not be used for any other purposes than as a burial place for human dead.
2. No lots or graves can be resold to any individual or party, but may be sold back to the Town by written request and consent of the Clarendon Town Board. Except as provided for in Section 1512 of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law, no lot owner may transfer his or her lot excepting to his or her heirs.
3. Concrete vaults or concrete grave liners will be required for internments in all graves purchased after January 1, 1985 in accordance with the provisions of New York State Cemetery Board Directive 202.6.
4. No internment shall be allowed without a permit first being obtained from the funeral director.
5. Lot owners are prohibited from allowing internments to be made on their lots for compensation.
6. Internment in a lot is restricted to those entitled to burial therein according to the terms of Section 1512 of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law. Permission for burial of those not entitled to burial according to the said section, must be filed with the Town of Clarendon by the lot owner(s).
7. The full purchase price must be paid before a deed will be given or burial permitted on the lot.
8. The Town of Clarendon reserves the right to remove, after due notice to the lot owner, any monument, effigy, vigil light or inscription which, in the opinion of the majority of the Town Board, is unsightly or dangerous.
9. The Town of Clarendon reserves the right to remove all natural and artificial flowers, wreaths, or other decorations from lots as soon as they become unsightly.
10. No shrubs, bushes or trees may be planted on lots or graves. Plantings of any kind in the soil or ground are prohibited. The Town of Clarendon reserves the right to remove, after due notice to the owner, any existing shrub or tree deemed dangerous or unsightly. The Town reserves the right to spray around the stones.
11. Cut flowers may be placed in approved metal containers. Placing of glass blocks of vases as receptacles for flowers, either artificial or grown, on graves or plots, is prohibited. All flowers at grave site must be in a container. (rev. 7/20/2010)
12. For ease of cemetery maintenance, flower vases or urns must be placed at the ends of headstones.
13. Placing of “winter decorations” in the form of wreaths, natural or artificial, on graves from November 15th to April 15th is permitted. Should the owner wish to save these, they must be removed before April 15th. All grave decorations will be removed by the Town each spring. (rev. 7/20/2010)
14. Funerals must be at the cemetery by 4:00 PM in order that workmen will have sufficient time to close the grave properly and remove equipment before 6:00 PM. All funerals, processions and vehicles will be under the control of the Administrator while in the cemetery.
15. No vault or mausoleum shall be above ground without the permission of the Clarendon Town Board and then only in such locations as they may approve.
16. No mausoleum will be approved for construction by the Clarendon Town Board unless a sufficient endowment is set up to provide adequate income to maintain the structure.
17. All foundations will be constructed by or under the direction of the Town of Clarendon.
18. All work done in the cemetery shall be done by employees under the control of the Town of Clarendon.
19. Only one family monument shall be allowed on a plot and it shall conform to said plan in size and material.
20. Monuments and markers are restricted in size to dimensions which will not cover more than 10% of the surface area of the grave. Every monument shall be at least six inches in thickness.
21. The bases of all monuments shall be finished true and level so as to fit on foundations without wedging or sprawls.
22. No monument will be allowed to be delivered to the cemetery until the foundation is installed and ready to receive the monument.
23. Only monuments or markers constructed of granite or bronze will normally be permitted. Exceptions require the Administrator’s approval.
24. Heavy trucking or other vehicular traffic shall be refused entrance to the cemetery when, in the opinion of the Highway Superintendent, injury to roads and driveways might result.
25. Disinterment will be allowed between June 1st and October 1st provided the provisions of Section 1512 of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law are complied with.
26. Graves will not normally be opened between November 1st and May 1st when frost and weather conditions warrant such refusal – bodies received at this time for interment will be placed in the vault until spring. The cemetery Administrator will have final authorization to decide on burial or not during this period.
27. All bodies left in the vault during the winter must be removed and interred or cremated by May 15th. (rev. 8/18/2015)
28. All lot owners are required to notify the cemetery of any change of address. All notices are to be sent to the last recorded address and such notice shall be deemed adequate.
29. All bodies left in the vault after June 1st will be removed and interred in a single grave. The expense of such interment shall be borne by those who caused the body to be placed in the vault. Only such notice shall be given in this case as shall be practical under the circumstances.
30. No horses, motorcycles, ATVs or snowmobiles will be allowed in the cemetery. Any exception will be at the discretion of the Superintendent.
31. Ashes in urns are required for interment of cremated remains. No more than 2 urns of cremated remains are allowed per grave.
32. Visitors are reminded that these grounds are sacredly devoted to the interment and repose of the dead and that a strict observance of the decorum due such places and of the foregoing rules and regulations will be required by all.
33. The cemetery is open to visitors between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM.